As of January 2016, Len Nicholson has been involved in analyzing, cleaning and conditioning bowling lanes in more bowling centers, in more cities, in more states, and in more countries than anyone in the history of bowling. He has the distinct honor of being the only person to have been in charge of conditioning lanes for every PBA Member who is currently in the PBA Hall of Fame. This man traveled the PBA Tour for well over 20-years and has worn many “hats” in this sport that he loves. His insights into the sport of bowling are unique and often sought after from his peers.
He began bowling in the Jr. Leagues in 1956. He was a Jr. Doubles partner with All-Time great PBA and USBC Hall of Famer, Billy Hardwick and they have remained close friends over the years.
Former Director of Lane Maintenance for the PBA National Tour. He helped develop the PBA Lane Maintenance Program in 1971, which is still in existence today. He has been directly involved in the conditioning of lanes in over 800 Professional (PBA) tournaments.
- Former PBA Western Region Tournament Director (1982-1990) where he earned the Pat Patterson Award for contributions to, and for, the betterment of the PBA Western Region.
- Former Staff Member of Professional Bowling Camps (PBC), teaching both the Physical and Mental Games. He has literally given thousands of lessons, to all levels of bowlers.
- Has personally coached, managed and/or advised several Members of the PBA Hall of Fame along with many PBA Touring Professionals and PBA Regional Players.
- Has authored 7-books and pamphlets on various aspects of the sport of bowling.
- Along with his son Mike (who was 16 at the time), the Nicholsons’ were the National Champions in the 1980 National Family (Father and Son) Tournament, in Washington, DC.
- Has bowled four 300 games and two 800 series using plastic bowling balls.
- Bowled a 300 game in the only PBA event he ever entered: Santa Maria, 1980.
- Has managed two bowling centers that hosted several PBA Regional Tournaments.
- Former Consultant on the Technical Committee for the World Ten Pin Bowling Association (WTBA).
- Founding Member of The Foundation which is a group that is finding solutions to the problems in our Sport.
- Member of the Bowling Writers Association of America (BWAA).
- BWAA Board of Directors in 2011.
- Member of the Southwest Bowling Writers Association (SWBWA)
- Owns Nicholson Bowling Consultant (N.B.C.), which is a California based company that was established in 1985. N.B.C. offers bowling centers advice on how to properly maintain their lanes.
- 2007 recipient of the: “Flowers for the Living” Award, which is presented annually to a person in the bowling industry who is admired, respected and loved. The Award was created in 1961 by the late Sam Levine.
- 2009 John Davis Award winner for his continuing contributions to the Sport of Bowling.
- 2011 Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) Hall of Fame, in the Meritorious Service Category.
- 2011 United States Bowling Congress (USBC) Jim Jaryszak Laneman Award (first recipient).
- 2011 Gosta Zellen Golden Quill Award. This Award was presented by the World Bowling Writers (WBW) for outstanding work in tenpin journalism.
Len currently hosts a weekly internet Radio Show, Phantom Radio, which is a first of its kind that features interviews with bowling dignitaries and celebrities from each and every area of the sport. Bowlers Journal International calls Phantom Radio a “pioneer in the field of internet broadcasting” because it is scheduled each week with a new Guest. As of January 2016, Phantom Radio has completed 700 consecutive shows. The Show is popular for all those who love bowling, and it is syndicated with 129 bowling related web sites that carry the streaming video. Phantom Radio can be accessed, at: http://phantomradioshow.blogspot.com/
His immediate Goal is to continue to educate by passing along knowledge and information.
His ultimate Goal is to continue to promote our great Sport.